The mill from which Mill-street takes its name was Kingsford's Mill, erected between the Adelphi Hotel and Mount's Bay-road by Samuel Kingsford in 1833 to grind the wheat of the earliest settlers It was not the first mill in Perth; that honour goes to Reveley's Mill, the site of which is marked by a brass tablet in the technical school grounds.
Kingsford obtained the right to drain the lake (from that time called Lake Kingsford) which occupied the site of the present central railway station and extended from Wellington-street over Roe-street and almost to James-street. In October, 1833, he commenced to cut a drain between this lake and his mill in Mill-street to supply power for the mill.
Kingsford was nothing if not ambitious, for he acquired from the Government the "perpetual right" to drain for the purpose of his mill not only Lake Kingsford, but Lake Irwin (now the railway goods yards), Lake Sutherland (beyond West Perth railway station). and Lake Henderson (now Robertson Park), as well as an option for five years over Monger's Lake and Herdsman's Lake. He called his enterprise the "Perth Mills," and on August, 1839, was advertising flour at 4d. a lb. He died in 1840, and the advent of steam apparently led the mill to cease work shortly afterwards. 'Cygnet' - Cyril Bryan - West Australian 18 February 1939.
'Cygnet' - Cyril Bryan - West Australian 18 February 1939.
Garry Gillard | New: 4 June, 2018 | Now: 11 June, 2018