Perth Stuff > Streets & Places
See also: Fremantle Streets and Places.
A few of the older Perth streets are named for physical entities: a mill, a spring, the pier, the barracks - but a disappointingly large number are named for dead white males who never came here, but happened to be PMs or their cabinet ministers, or were good at killing people, or, in one case, tigers.
These streets and places have their own pages on this site. Entries in this table contain articles by Cygnet (Cyril Bryan).
Aberdeen Street is named for Lord Aberdeen, Foreign Secretary 1828-1830 and 1841-1846, Prime Minister 1852-1855. He was created Viscount Gordon of Aberdeen 1 June 1814.
Barrack Street: the first military barrack was here.
Adelaide Terrace was named for William IV's queen.
Brisbane Street may have been named for Thomas Brisbane, Governor of NSW 1821-25. Tbc. The capital of Queesnland was definitely named for him.
Bulwer Street is named for Edward Bulwer-Lytton who wrote 'It was a dark and stormy night'. He was Secretary of State for the Colonies 1858-59.
Darling Range (Escarpment) was named in 1827 after the (1825-31) Governor of NSW, General Ralph Darling.
Mount Eliza is named for the wife of the (1825-31) Governor of NSW, General Ralph Darling.
Ellen Brook and Ellenbrook are named after Stirling's wife Ellen MANGLES.
Goderich Street was named after Frederick John Robinson, who was created Viscount Goderich in 1827. After crossing Barrack Street to the east, Murray Street became Goderich Street, but the portion between Barrack Street and Victoria Square is now called Murray St. Goderich Street starts on the other side of Victoria Square, continuing to Plain St.
Hay Street is named after Robert William Hay, Permanent Under Secretary for War and the Colonies 1825-36. East of Barrack Street Hay Street used to be Howick Street after Viscount Howick, who subsequently became Earl Grey. The latter was Prime Minister of England from 1831-34. The Reform Bill of 1832 was passed during his administration. Hay Street after Bennett Street used to be called Twiss Street after Horace Twiss, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State of the Colonies.
Howick Street was the former name of Hay Street East of Barrack Street and was named after Viscount Howick, who subsequently became Earl Grey. The latter was Prime Minister of England from 1831-34. The Reform Bill of 1832 was passed during his administration.
Irwin Street is named after the first commandant of military forces in the colony.
Lincoln Street is named after President Abraham Lincoln.
Milligan Street is named after surgeon William Milligan.
Murray Street is named after George Murray. After crossing Barrack Street, Murray Street became Goderich Street after Frederick John Robinson, who was created Viscount Goderich in 1827. The portion between Barrack Street and Victoria Square is now called Murray St. Goderich Street starts on the other side of Victoria Square, continuing to Plain St.
Newcastle Street may have been named for Henry Pelham-Clinton who was Duke of Newcastle from 1851 and Secretary of State for War and the Colonies 1852-1852. Tbc.
Outram Street is named after soldier James Outram.
Henry Reveley was the first engineer in the colony, and these streets may have been named for him: Reveley Court, Samson, Reveley Close, Seville Grove, Reveley Street, Waikiki, and Reveley Vista, Ellenbrook.
Roe Street is named after surveyor John Septimus Roe.
Russell Square is named for PM John, Earl Russell (1792-1878).
St George's Terrace is named for the patron saint of England. St George's Church/Cathedral was/in the street, so presumably one was named after the other.
Both Stirling and James Streets are named after the first governor. There are also James and Stirling Streets in Fremantle: they were intended to join up, but Fremantle Park was put between them.
Twiss Street was named after Horace Twiss, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State of the Colonies. It is now Hay Street east of Bennett Street. There is a Twiss Way in Ellenbrook.
Victoria Square is named for the queen.
Waterloo Street is named after the 1815 battle, in which 'Wellington' defeated 'Napoleon', with a bit of help from some soldiers.
Weld Square and the Weld Club in Barrack Street are named for 1869-75 Governor Weld.
Wellington Street is named after the general, Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington.
STREETS OF PERTH. Origin of Their Names.
Street nomenclature of the City of Perth was discussed at some length by Dr. J. S. Battye in an interesting lecture to the Historical Society recently, Sir James Mitchell presided.
Dr. Battye said that the first survey of Perth was made in August-September 1829. It was a very rough survey which was not intended to be accurate in any respect. A more detailed survey was subsequently made and a plan of Perth, with street names specified, was prepared by Alfred Hillman in 1838, under the direction of the Surveyor-General. That plan was revised in 1841 and again in 1845. The first plan of Perth showed some rather peculiar phases. For instance it disclosed that it was never intended that Barrack and Hay-streets should be the centre of the city. As originally laid out the centre of the city was at the intersection of Goderich-street and Lord-street, where St. Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral now stood. The main portions of the city were at the intersections of St. George's-terrace and William-street, Murray and William-streets and James and Stirling-streets.
Discussing the origin of the names of some of the city streets, Dr. Battye said that St. George's-terrace had been named after the patron saint of England. It was said that the name was chosen because it happened to be that of the ruling sovereign. Adelaide-terrace was not named until 1830 some time after William IV came to the throne. It was named after Queen Adelaide. Haystreet up to Barrack-street owed its name to Robert William Hay, who was Permanent Under Secretary for War and the Colonies at the time that the colony was founded. East of Barrackstreet it was called Howick-street after Viscount Howick, who subsequently became Earl Grey. The latter was Prime Minister of England from 1831-34. The Reform Bill of 1832 was passed during his administration. Murray-street eastward as far as Barrack-street, owed its name to Sir George Murray, Secretary of State for War and Colonies, at the time of the foundation of the Colony. It was to his decision that the foundation of the colony was actually due. After crossing Barrack-street, Murray-street became Goderich-street after Frederick John Robinson, who was created Viscount Goderich in 1827. Hay-street took a twist at Bennett-street and was named Twiss-street after Horace Twiss, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State of the Colonies. It was quite obvious that Wellington-street was named after the famous general and Waterloo-street served as a reminder of the great battle he fought. Roe-street was named in honour of the first surveyor-general of Western Australia, John Septimus Roe. James-street had to be taken in conjunction with Stirling-street which was called after the first Governor.
Among other streets which Dr. Battye said were named after English and Colonial public men were Aberdeen, Newcastle, Brisbane, Bulwer (Bulwer-Lytton), Moore, Short, Hill, Irwin, Hutt and Milligan streets and Harvest-terrace. Mill-street was probably so-called because the old Shenton mill was just across the water. Mount Eliza was named after Eliza, wife of Governor Darling, of New South Wales. Western Mail 10 November 1927: 2.
Western Mail 10 November 1927: 2.
Garry Gillard | New: 4 June, 2018 | Now: 14 June, 2018